Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dandelion Clock

Ever wonder what these things are called? I'm sure that you are thinking, "Um, Meridy, those are dandelions..." Well of course you would be right, sort of.

Haven't you ever faced the dilema of searching for these things with your child. You say "Hey, [insert child's name], let's go find some dandelions!" And then [insert child's name] says, "Look mommy! I found a great big YELLOW one." And then you are like, "No, [insert child's name], not that kind. Yours is very beautiful, but I meant the kind that is white and poofy and when you blow on it, those little seed things fly in in the air."

See what I mean? I think they need their own proper name. I asked Nate what he thought they were called. He refered to them as "dandelions gone to seed". While is answer would be correct, I was looking for something shorter. Can you imagine saying, "Come on, [insert child's name], let's go find some dandelions that have gone to seed!" Doesn't quite cut it for me. I was reading Ellie a book last night that called them "fluffy dandilions". Which I thought was somewhat acceptable and descriptive, but not exactly what I was looking for. Finally, once again, I consulted the all knowing internet. On wikipedia it refers to them as "dandelion clocks", which of course we know must be true because it was seen on wikipedia. I must own I was a little bit disapointed, but hey, it's still better than "those poofy dandelions that you blow on and the seeds fly everywhere" name. So I thought I would make your lives easier and find that out for you all. Dandelion Clocks. I don't know, I still might go with "fluffy dandelions" myself. If anyone has a better name, you can let me know.

Oh and by the way, did you know that you can eat dandelions cooked or raw? Apparently, dandelion salad is acompanied by hard boiled eggs. The leaves are high in vitamins A and C, iron, and carry more calcium than spinach. Dandelion and Burdock is a soft drink that has experienced some populartity in the United Kingdom. Doesn't that just sound so yummy?? Thanks wikipedia for enlightening us!

5 comments:

Sheri said...

Okay, you can call the white ones "Poofy Flowers". That's probably what I'll go with when my children realize that flowers exist. :)

As far as eating dandilions, yeah. Well, you see, somebody in girls camp one year had this really BRIGHT idea that we would make DANDILION PANCAKES!!!! Because she'd "had them before and they're super good!". So we did it, we made dandilion pancakes.

Well, let me tell you, they taste like super CRAP. Which, in retrospect, makes sense. FLOWERS ARE FOR SMELLING, NOT EATING. They're BITTER. I don't care what their vitamin content is, every time I crunched into one of those bright yellow morsels of nastiness, I wanted to barf.

Consider this a warning: DON'T TRY IT!!! The people who advocate eating dandilions are also those who think that wheatgrass is a "SUPER DELICIOUS DRINK!"

Shella said...

Meridy, I went outside picking flowers with Bryn and MaryJane today, and I found myself in the same predicament. Bryn referred to them as wishing flowers, so I followed suit.
I remember when I was babysitting once and Nick Jr. was on. The show was Oswald, the one with the octopus who lived in the city...which seems a little odd now.... So Oswald went to the park with his pet wiener dog and penguin friend, and this penguin gathered dandelions there to make a salad. Okay, sorry, long story with no point. My friend's dad's high school English (?) class read a book about dandelion wine, and so they made some. Well, it ended up fermenting, and so it had to be "stolen." This friend's dad did the stealing.
I used to do this cool thing where you tear the stem (like string cheese) and then stick it in your mouth to get it all wet, and then it curls up. It tasts Nasty!

Meridy said...

I love the wishing flower idea. That is cute!

Great comment! ;)

Kevin M. said...

Maybe you should let Ellie come up with a name for it. That way it will probably stick. Whenever I think up a name for something, I always forget what I decided to call it and end up calling it something else. Maybe that's just me though. Oh well. My vote would probably be for wishing flowers, because that's what I was taught that you do with them. (GO FIGURE!) You make a wish then try to blow every last seed off; if you don't, then your wish doesn't come true. Try doing it in one breath, THAT'S HARD! I think I've done it once.
But if you want your kid to be genius, being completely scientific and truthful with them would probably be the way to go. (Dandelions gone to seed.)
I guess it's all in what you want your kid to be like, right? Creative, or Scientific; or in the long run, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot. They will turn out wonderful no matter how much we screw with their heads!

Unknown said...

YOU SUCK VANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISMVANDALISM