Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thai Noodle Bowl

Okay, so it's not in a bowl, but it tasted yummy! Nate loved it. I got it out of what I think is the current Women's Day magazine. I'm am going to give you the real recipe first. And then I am going to tell you what I did. I think the real recipe sounds good, I just had to improvise because I didn't end up buying all of the ingredients.

Thai Noodle Bowl

4 Scallions

1/2 red bell pepper

1lb chicken tenders

1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk (yeah right! We used the very fattening NON-light coconut milk)

1 tbsp EACH green curry paste and fish sauce (or nam pla) Look in the Asian section

1/2 a 16 oz box of rice noodles

2tps oil

2 cups shredded carrots

1/3 cup of mint leaves

lime wedges

Start water boiling to cook rice noodles (cook according to pkg directions). While water is boiling, slice scallions and red pepper. Cut chicken. Wisk coconut milk, green curry, and fish sauce in a bowl until blended. Saute chicken, red pepper, and carrots in oil for five min. Add milk mixture. Saute two min more. Add scallions and mint leaves. Serve with lime wedges over rice noodles.

Here is what I did:

I sauted two chicken breasts, some onion (We don't like raw onion.), and a whole red pepper. I couldn't find rice noodles so I substituted chicken ramen. I wisked the green curry paste and full-fat coconut milk in a bowl. I couldn't find the fish sauce. I added the coconut milk mixture after the chicken was done. I added a few shakes of basil instead of mint leaves. I couldn't find mint leaves either and basil is sorta minty. I tried to use cornstarch in cold water to help it thicken. It worked a little bit, but I bet it would have worked better if I had just stirred in a tsp of corn starch by itself. We served it with lime wedges, but I personally think that with this dish a little lime goes a long way. It tasted really good like that! Next time I want to try it with the mint, rice noodles, and scallions. (We still might skip the fish sauce. :) )

4 comments:

Rachel said...

mmmm! reading your blog makes me hungry!!

Deborah said...

Would you like a job as a cook at my house?

Kevin M. said...

About that fish sauce...
Bert was watching the cooking channel and the cook said that fish sauce is a general term. Worchestershire sauce is considered a fish sauce! (Sorry, I can't spell.) So maybe you could use a sauce you like, and then impress your friends by calling it fish sauce?! Good luck.
The meals look yummy. When I feel like cooking, I will have to try them. Thanks for sharing.
Lori

The Leonards said...

So, I am trying our your recipes and I was wondering where you bought cocnut milk? I looked all over yesterday in wal-mart and couldn't find it!