Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Here's a little song I wrote, you might want to sing it note for note"


Inspired by a movie we recently watched, I decided it was about time I recorded a song for y'all.

I had heard about August Rush before, but I was always skeptical about it. When it came to Redbox and we were desperate for a movie, I decided that we should give it a try. I am ever so glad we did.

There are a lot of things about the movie that you will have to overlook and just move on:
1) The movie is VERY mystical (in some ways this adds to the effect, but sometimes it is just weird)
2) When two mystical people think they love each other very much, they have very mystical 5 minute romances. In the end you root for them, but in the beginning they are pretty dumb. Marriage is cool. Sleeping together on a rooftop on a first mystical date is not cool. Luckily there are no bad scenes. And I suppose the movie wouldn't make much sense without this beginning to the son's life
3) Her father manages to give her baby up for adoption by forging her signature. It is strange behavior, and it seems unlikely that he could have gotten away with it in the 90's.
4) There are a lot of gal derns. I kind of overlooked this thinking that if we watched it a couple times we would know where the swears were and could mute them out. I don't know.
5) The deleted scenes were deleted for a reason. They don't make a lot of sense, they don't add anything to the movie, and they swear pretty violently.

OK, on to the goody. The music is GREAT. The show is about the lovechild of two musicians who looks for his long lost parents by playing music he mystically believes came from them. He thinks they will mystically hear and follow. It's all true, the kid is right. He is a prodigy, like a modern day Mozart. It just shows how music is different from other things. The movie has a lot of philosophizing about what music is. I think that's interesting.
The guitar stuff was especially cool to me because I listen to instrumental guitar like ALL the time. I love listening to people who play the style the kid uses. Michael Hedges, Billy McLaughlin, Preston Reid, Tommy Emmanuel, are some of my favorites from that general style. I think Kali King was the hand double for the movie, so I'll have to check out her stuff too.

All things considered, it was a pretty good flick. It had the added bonus of Robin Williams as a bad guy. I like him as a bad guy.
I'm sure this post is long enough by now.
The End.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

That was a wicked cool song you played! I could tell that you were playing it at first, I thought you just found a cool song and pretended to play it. But Meridy says you were really playing it! That's super neato!

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Nate,
I don't know why you're suffering through Law School when you could have a perfectly good singing career. You're talented and fun, it was entertaining. emily

Shella said...

Okay Nate, seriously? I'm listening to your song as I type this...and it's pretty rad. I can tell from the beginning that it was inspired by August Rush. I watched that movie again last night, and I wondered what you had thought about it. Now I know! I agree about it being kind of weird in places. The mystical thing is cool sometimes, and sometimes it's very weird. A little unrealistic? You could say so.

Cairen said...

I loved that movie too! Go AUGUST rUSH!