Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Waffle Maker Ham and Cheese Quesadilla???



Many of you know that we use our waffle maker to make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Above is pictured our latest creation. Sounds interesting doesn't it? Well, it not only is interesting, it is delicious. Here is what you do:

Get a tortilla and put it on your waffle maker (don't turn on waffle maker yet). Put your favorite lunch meat on half of tortilla. Then your favorite cheese (we used pepper jack this time.) Now sprinkle on chopped green onion and chopped green pepper. Close waffle maker and turn it on. When the waffle maker indicates it is done, retrieve tortilla, open up tortilla (caution will be hot :) ), and insert fresh chopped tomato and avocado. (Cilantro at this point would be delicious too.) Enjoy!

Now my friends, surely after reading this post and many of our others, you must be thinking to yourselves: "Wow. These Meridy and Nate people are strange." The question is: are we really strange or are we brilliant? (The answer is: YES!) Do we merely appear strange because we only post about life's oddities, when in actual fact we are basically normal? Or is our "strangeness" merely an inventive and useful outlook on life? Well I thought I would clear up some of these questions, in regard to this post at least. Let's begin our question and answer session about Waffle Iron Sandwiches:

Q: Why do you do this? (As in: why use a waffle iron to make grilled sandwiches as opposed to a frying pan?)
A: Frankly it's easier this way and has two major benefits that are worth mentioning. 1) The waffle iron cooks on both sides of the sandwich at the same time, thus removing the need to flip the the sandwich over. I am exceedingly bad at flipping. All the inner contents end up all over the place when I do. 2) You can turn on the waffle maker and walk away. When you come back your sandwich is not burned. However, I can't take the credit for actually coming up with the idea of waffle sandwiches myself. Nate did it first. He grew up with a sandwhich maker at his mom's and we didn't have one. So he improvised. I was taken aback at first but as the benefits listed above show, it was good idea.

Q:Why don't you just go buy one of those nifty sandwich makers, designed to actually make grilled cheese sandwiches?
A: Why bother when the waffle iron does such a good job and we have another one waiting in the pantry to use when this one gets broken? And actually, Nate prefers the waffle iron to the sandwich maker as it creates a finer crispyness. Also, the sandwich maker makes one huge pocket with uneven cooking as a result.

Q:How do you make waffles?
A: We don't make waffles.........But if we did we would just use the same waffle iron or the new waffle iron in the pantry.

Q: Doesn't using the waffle iron confuse your kids?
A: Well yes it does. Ellie was playing with toy food at Grammy's house once and she found a plastic waffle. She said, very excitedly, "Look Mom!! Hammy and Cheese!" (She calls grilled ham and cheese, hammy and cheese. When she just want cheese she says, "Mom I want hammy and cheese with no hammy.)

Q: How did you come up with the crazy combination pictured above?
A: Nate did. Once we were out of bread but had tortillas and Ellie wanted hammy and cheese. This time we happened to have lots of green onion and bell peppers that needed to get eaten. I added the tomatoes and avocado because that needed to get eaten too, and I thought it would be delicious. Which it was. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

Well, I have been delightedly enlightened today about the multiple uses of a waffle iron.
You have also made me hungry with your illustrative pictures.
XOXO

Cheryl said...

I just realized that I was the "unsuspecting grammy" when I made normal waffles for your family last Saturday morning. I didn't suspect that the kids wouldn't suspect that the waffles would be waffles inside and out.

Unknown said...

Wow,
You guys always give me the laugh of the day. It sound delicious to me. I have a George Forman, I wonder if it would work well for this little idea?? I will have to give it a try. I don't have any hammy right now, but I will have to get some.

Shella said...

We used to use a George Forman at Zach's house for tuna and cheese sandwiches, and I Loved it! I love how it makes it all crispy. It's also fun to have a wavy sandwich. :)
Your note about Ellie and the hammy and cheese without the hammy reminds me of cottonless cottonwood trees. I have always thought this is just a waste of words. I call them wood trees whenever possible.
I have always thought that you guys are ingenious.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

You guys can blog about anything and make it fun to read. I really like your idea. I like waffles way better than pancakes, because of the crispiness, so I'm sure I'd like a waffle sandwich. If you put avocado on anything it would be delicious.

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

Looks and sounds so good.
Kristina has been making cheese Quesadilla's in her waggle maker for quite a while. I just use mine for plain old waffles.
Hugs

Danny said...

Sensational. Easily one of the biggest innovations since socks that fit the shape of your foot.

Angie said...

Very nice you two, as usual. And yet another background. I visited the background website and I need the vintage halloween, only one problem, I have no clue how to get it. I am sure you have posted about it but I didn't pay attention and now I am paying the price. Please help me.

Angie said...

Meridy, you can't believe it but I tried to do it myself following your step by step instructions. Check out my blog.

Shella said...

What would you think about using a Belgian waffle maker?

Nate said...

My guess is it would only work with thick bread

sara said...

Interesting! What great concoctions you guys come up with! I'll have to try it sometime...:-)

Kevin M. said...

Here is a possible positive side effect to making quesadillas in the waffle iron;

the indentations on the top serve as salsa and sour cream traps.

Now I want to go try trapping some salsa and sour cream.

Kristina said...

I was just checkin up on all your postings...We do the same thing..except we use are sandwhich maker..Great Minds think a like!!
And we have also had the ham and cheese yum...It really is so much easier then getting a pan out to make them...we actually had the cheese quesadillas last night for dinner(using our sandwhich maker)