Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Circle Dance

There is a tree along the walkway to our condo that is ringed about by grass and a circle of sidewalk. This landscape feature has the unerring effect of making kids run around and around the sidewalk circle.
Last night Eleanor and Williams had some friends over, and all four of them were running around the circle. Meridy and I stood on the inside by the tree, where the words, "Circle Dance" kept coming to my mind. The Circle Dance was a spontaneous invention of a group of my cousins at our family reunion when I was a kid. All the cousins young enough not to be embarrassed and not too young to care held hands while spinning in a big circle. Then we would try to tangle the circle by running under each other's arms and twisting around etc. The rule, of course, as we tried to right ourselves again was that we couldn't let go. We would eventually work out all the snarls, spin around, and start all over again.
The circle dance seemed to take on new meaning for me last night as I stood with Meridy watching the kids run around and around. I reflected on the temple and the course of life. Family is a circle dance.

5 comments:

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Nate that is deep, if you don't watch out you're going to be a general authority someday. Where was I during the circle dance?

Angie said...

Same from we.

Shella said...

Yeah, me too.

Nate said...

Angie and Emily were too mature for the circle dance. If memory serves me, Shella tried to keep the tradition alive after I became too mature for it. Hey, this weekend is the reunion! It's going to be great. Maybe all the mature cousins can get up and do the circle dance.

Shella said...

Man...why don't I remember it? I'm so excited for the reunion! I just wish I weren't so crazy right now with school and work and trying to do so much with my friends. I seriously need to calm down my schedule...