Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sympathizing with Marie Antoinette: a tirade

I am sure that we are all familiar with Marie's famous statement, "Let them eat cake!" I think that what she meant by this is actually debatable. Perhaps what she really meant was, "Of course! By all means! Give those poor starving people some bread!" (I like to try to give people the benefit of the doubt wherever possible, because I assume that I'll need to claim mercy for some stupid statement that I'll make in the future.) However, for the sake of this nice little tirade, we are going to pretend that, in fact, she was most annoyed when she proclaimed this infamous statement.

It's been another one of those weeks....Nate had to rework is cursed LP paper to be graded again (all of their papers get graded TWICE, is that not annoying?), William decided to catch a cold, and Ellie, sweet thing that she is, was as demanding as ever. So basically I had to fend for myself to try to meet the demands of my beautiful children. William would not nap, and was clingy and needy, and wanted to be walked around with. Ellie wanted milk, or a snack, or a show, or a story, or a toy, etc. When William would crawl around on the floor he would often cry because the poor thing would hurt himself; it felt like almost constantly, or Ellie would be like, "No Wiwum! That's my toy!" The moment I sat down, would be the instant that I had to get up again. My house is in a messy chaos, because everytime I try to clean it up, I am thwarted at every turn. Anyway, sorry, no need to drone on and on.

In the midst of one of these episodes I was trying to eat my lunch. As many of you know, I am quite irritable when hungry. I am really no better than your average hungry two year old, I'm just a little bit better at controlling my temper. I was just sneaking in my third bite when Ellie says, "Mommy!!! Wiwum is eating crayons!" At this point I thought to myself, "Let them eat [crayons]!!!!!" It was also at this point where I thought of our friend Marie. I could totally see it, "Can't you peasants take care of yourselves for ten minutes so that I can think!!!! Here take some bread and go away!" This is much similar to what I was thinking. "So be it! Crayons, like unto wetwipes, are non-toxic! Can't you [sweet, adorable] children amuse yourselves for ten minutes without having a castrophe???"

I would, however, like to say that I DO love my children and YES they usually are sweet and wonderful, but motherhood also comes with frustrating moments such as these.

I also must give credit to Sheri Melissa Weekes Adams and Dave Barry. Sheri because we have talked in a similar manner of Marie Antoinette in the past. And Dave Barry, because, well, Dave is funny and inspiring. Sheri is also funny. The End. Finally.

7 comments:

Sheri said...

Love it. Love it. :) Let them eat crayons...

You are a rocking great blogger, Mer! (Just as I knew you would be.)

Nate said...

One of the classic examples of the law of unintended consequences. As my wife intimated, "let them eat cake" actually refers to bread. France was having economic struggles around this time, and the government thought the people would eat better if bread were cheaper. What easier way to ensure that the poor can eat than to mandate price controls for bread, right? Turns out it wasn't such a good idea. Bakers couldn't turn a profit at the government price, so they stopped selling bread. No bread for anybody. Good one.

Deborah said...

I feel your pain. I've had days like that and I totally know how you feel. It's sooo hard having to do it by yourself so much of the time. Next time call me and I'll take Ellie for a few hours! (By the way, I really mean it. I'm not just saying it to be nice.)

Your post was very entertaining though. It's kind of funny that some of the best posts come from such hard moments.

I hope William's feeling better. Luckily spring break starts today!!!

Kevin M. said...

"Let them eat crayons" would be a good name for a rock band.

-Kevin

Meridy said...

That WOULD be a good name for a rock band! I shall have to consider it for future use! ;)

Bethany C. said...

Great phrase! I'll bet my life would be much happier as a mom (at least I'd enjoy ignoring selective moments) if I used that phrase more often. Like, "Let them play in the gutter." And, "Let him eat gum off the ground." And, "Let them pee in the yard." Ahhh. Very theraputic, indeed. :)

Bethany C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.