Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Ninth World Wonder

Toquerville Utah is one of my favorite places. Not only does it boast beautiful pioneer houses, scenery, and the blossoming spring trees that line main street, it also is home to the wonderous Shoe Tree. Behold it's greatness! A testiment to man's genius! It has withstood snow, wind, lightning, and time. Some of those shoes might have been there for as long as five years! It speaks to us of man's desire to conquer nature. His stubborn desire to bend nature's will to his own! Man has overcome!

Dispite endeavors by environmental city slickers to return the tree to it's natural state, the townsfolk have thusfar prevailed in perserving their monument. "Ain't nobody gonna mess with us! If we want a shoe tree, we'll have us a shoe tree, dangit!" I'm right up there with ya boys!!!! Power to the people.

Alert reader, Shella Reeve, has found a most excellent article about this very tree in the Hurricane Valley Journal. It seems that Toquerville is on the cutting edge of global trends! Find the artical at: http://www.hvjournal.com/articles.php?id=3756 It's funny too! You should read it.

9 comments:

Sheri said...

Serious? Toquerville actually has a SHOE tree? That's ridiculous. I'm glad they are so comfortable with themselves that they can flaunt their ridiculousness. What WILL they do next? A bra tree?

Danny said...

Indeed, a sweeping accomplishment, one worthy of a prominent place in the annals of human history. Also, it looks like an easy target for an e-bay opportunist - some of those shoes look half decent!

Shella said...

I don't know how many times I've driven by that tree without noticing it. Just a weekend or two ago, I made at least 5 passes and only noticed it once. Is there some kind of story behind this thing? I remember reading about it in the newspaper once or something. Ah yes, here it is. http://www.hvjournal.com/articles.php?id=3756

Cheryl said...

It is on the outskirts of town. the trees that line the main street are beautiful with blossoms and then leaves that shade the drive through town.

Chani said...

I can't believe I've never seen this!!! Ryan and I are for sure planning a romantic evening under this tree very soon!!!

Cheryl said...

And--I like the way you write about unusual things.

Meridy said...

I'm glad that you all like this post. I am serious about liking this tree. It is so interesting to me. I noticed it awhile ago when it only had a few pairs of shoes and then people have just kept adding them. "Why do you do this?" I ask myself.

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

On the way to Teresa's wedding, Kenneth said something about a tree with shoes in it. I thought, huh?, and just kept on with my crocheting project.
Now I know what he was talking about.
Funny, I guess we should go see this marvelous thing.
Making cards was fun and I really enjoyed the company!
PS You guys are all hilarious!!!

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

Holy poop! Warrin and I have admired this tree for so long! We have wondered and now that you have brought us the reasons behind the tree, we love it even more! Have you been in Toquerville lately? The blossoming trees and lining the streets so beautifully!