Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

He Said/She Said: Church Ball......

Meridy's take on Church Ball:
Takes a long time to play. Children are hard to put to bed by oneself.

Nathan's take on Church Ball:
"Takes a long time to play." ???? Are you kidding me? 6 minute quarters and a 5 minute halftime. I am sorry Meridy had to put the kids to bed by herself (I was astounded she was able to tame the Wild Ones alone), but the game started at 9:00.

Moreover, furthermore and while we're on the subject. I made the comment to Richard Hirschi that church basketball is the most intense sport. He said wrestling is more intense. I said that church wrestling would be the most intense sport. He agreed. Church basketball is cRaaaZy. It is a bad mix of call-your-own-fouls and refereeing. I didn't hear any swearing tonight. That was good, but there was much murmuring about fouls/violations or, alternatively, the lack thereof. The referees had stripy shirts on, so they looked pretty official. I think that helped a little.

Meridy's Take:
Church Wrestling is a BAD idea and not supported by the wives of the Elders' Quorum. Not only will this take more time away from bedtime stories, but it will take DAYS away spent in the ER. And who gets to change the diapers day AND night? The wife. If you are lucky, your oldest daughter. So, now wives and daughters are against Church Wrestling.

Nathan's Take:
The good news is that we won. It took a third quarter buzzer beater from beyond half-court (by Skyler Spendlove) and clutch free throw shooting on my part, but we got the job done. Ok, those are my thoughts on Church Ball.

Meridy's Take:
No, the REAL good news is that Nate came home, uninjured. AND we ate pumpkin frozen dairy dessert, which has half of the fat of regular ice cream, AND it tastes BETTER then unpumpkined regular ice cream.

****Meridy and Nathan love to hear from their readers. You can leave them a comment in their designated commenting section.

5 comments:

Sheri said...

Meridy and Nathan make me laugh, and I miss them dreadfully.

Angie said...

I love church basketball, when do the women start? Already, did I miss it? It is good exercise.

Angela (Turner) Howland said...

Isn't it interesting that not only is the Church the same wherever you go, but Church ball is too!!! I think we all have our stories to tell about the many, many injuries obtained by playing Church ball.

Project Maniac said...

Well, I use to like to play, but the last year I played - about 2 years ago - I just couldn't take it any more. I always get injured whenever I play. That's not the problem, injuries I can handle. It's the way, way, way too competitiveness of the other people playing. I was under the impression that being a church function, church standards ensue. I'm not saying that means everyone is not competitive. There are levels of competitiveness. You can still play an intense game and have appreciation for the other players instead of bad mouthing them, or ignoring them completely. If you want that level of competitiveness I think that it belongs in a City league or other organized sport. That is why I don't play church ball anymore, which is sad because I LOVE playing basketball and would like to play a pick up game sometime somewhere in my life. I think church ball should be a way to get good excursive, a way others can learn about a new sport, and a way to have fun. I must be barking mad to think that. Sorry, I have stepped off my soap box now.

Kelly said...

I thought church ball was illegal. If it isn't officially in every stake in the world, it should be. Or they should require paramedics on hand at every game.

I refereed for 14 years and I always called the most technical fouls in church ball.