Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz171ckdPS7

Friday, December 5, 2008

Hick Town at Home

So pretty much I feel like we are bringing home some "hick town" to our Las Vegas condo.......

As many of you know we have a very old TV. Some of you have gently told me it has passed it's allotted time here on this earth. This TV is perhaps the equivalent of 128.3 in people years. But hey, it's still going on pretty well for how old it is! Well, we have a some generous friends and family who have each offered us their old TVs. Their TVs may be old, but they are far newer than ours. :) We appreciate this. We just haven't gotten around to actually bring their offers into fruition. In fact, we ended up trying to bring my brother and sister in law's TV home with us, but it wouldn't fit in our car. What we did end up with was an extra TV that Cheryl had kicking around her attic above the garage. It fit in our car and we thought it might at least work better than the one that we have at the moment. We haven't actually decided yet, if that is the case. What I'm actually wondering is this: maybe it's the VCR that is causing some of the problems on the TV screen as well as the TV itself. The DVD might be broken as well. We can't get it to work on the old or new(ish) TV. I don't know for sure though about the new TV, because I can't turn it to channel three to test my hypothesis. I haven't been able to program the remote yet with all of these kids and projects about. Someday I may get it to channel three. This is starting to turn into a rambling sob story...ANWAY. We now have two very old TVs. The kids have been using the older one as a bench.

Well, I came home last night to Nate reading the kids a story with a backwoods accent. He claims he was doing this because he has a cold and it is easier to talk in a deep voice with a "hick" accent. Not only is he reading this book with a hick accent, the old TV is on the floor turned on and tuned in to static. He said that he couldn't get the new TV to work with the VCR anymore and he was trying to get it to work again on the old one. It wasn't happening. Let me just say, technical genious that I am, I was able to get it to work on the old TV on the floor. With all of this going on at once, I felt that I had brought a piece of hick town home with us. So pretty much, we now have two very old TVs. The one on the TV stand is turned off. And the old one on the floor, next to the stand, is the one we use.

Then later on last night we put on Spot or some similar show for Will. He was so excited. He grabbed is blanky, shouted "YAY!", and sat right up to the TV, with his nose two inches from the screen.

(NOW LET IT BE KNOWN: I love our little "hick" towns. I'm glad we have the opportunity to visit them often. We mean this term "hick" in a non-offensive and loving way. As Kermit the Frog says on Muppet Treasure Island, to the tribal boars, "We mean no harm to your culture. We embrace all creatures of differing nationalities...." Then the boar yells, "Silence!!" And they proceed with their elaborate introduction of Miss Piggy. Ah, what a great show....if I had it on tape, I might be watching it with the kids on the floor.)

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Well, I want you to know, I don't mind that your TV is a first edition. I'm sure you could sell it for millions of dollars on ebay...I mean, pretty sure you have THE TV that the first TV inventor guy MADE. The one from his very own HOUSE. It's...special.

But I want you to know that I would donate to the "Get Mer a new TV fund" should one come about. Or maybe Santa will smile upon your family this year and get you a nice cheap set that doesn't suck. Who knows.

Meridy said...

Oh, and I just wanted to say, Cheryl, that we appreciate you for letting us use the TVs you have in the attic to try out. The first one served us well for a long time. :)

Unknown said...

Your posts always crack me up. I like the idea of using the older one as a bench. Very cute.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Meridy,
Do you want a DVD player? We just so happen to have an extra one. I can picture Nate in his hick voice, he is funny, I'm sure the kids loved it.

LeAnn said...

Everything in our house is a hand-me-down. I don't want to buy anything unless it's the one I really want and I can't afford the things I really want. So we just make due for now. Hope your enjoying your holiday season.

Abby said...

haha. I watched this thing on the internet about the switch over to digital as perceived by a really old woman. I had to laugh about it because I felt the same way as her. We will probably be watching static as soon as the digital stuff is all in place.